My daughters are two of the most creative and ingenious women I know. Take Melissa, for example. We were at dinner at her house a couple of weeks ago, and, after dessert, she handed each of us a small rectangular card with “Turkey Ticket” written on it. Attached via a piece of ribbon was a roll of Adding Machine Tape about eight foot long (or so it seems!). Handing it to us, Melissa said, “Now, you have to fill this completely in with things you are thankful for, or you will not be allowed in for dinner!” Now, I don’t know if she was serious or not, but not wanting to take any chances where my Turkey Dinner is concerned I began working on my list tout de suite!
I realized that to fill that whole roll of paper I was going to have to say things like, “I am thankful for my left shoe; I am thankful for my right shoe;” and so on! So, I checked with Melissa, who verified it would be okay for me to tell what I was thankful for, AND why I was thankful for it! So, I thought I would take time and share my list with you!
- I am thankful for Grandma because:
- She has loved me for over 50 years.
- She gave me four beautiful children.
- She is kind and considerate.
- She laughs at my jokes.
- She makes me a better man and a better Christian.
- She is the most selfless person I know.
- I am thankful for Melissa because:
- She listens to God.
- She really cares for her family… including Mom and Me!
- In my mind, she and her sister, Meredith, are the Epitome of Christian Womanhood!
- I am thankful for Matthew because:
- He helps keep me humble, and to “Judge Not.”
- He has shown me that “stuff” is only superficial.
- I am thankful for Meredith because:
- She understands me so well.
- She is so laid back when dealing with me.
- In my mind, she and her sister, Melissa, are the Epitome of Christian Womanhood!
- I am thankful for Matthias & Mitch because:
- They love, take care of, and provide for my daughters and grandchildren.
- They have opened their hearts, and their homes!, to Mom and Me.
- I am thankful for Kristina because:
- She got Matt off the streets.
- She saw the good in Matt.
- I am thankful for Grandchildren because:
- They give me Faith in the Next Generation.
- They Provide me with an opportunity to share my Knowledge and Wisdom!
- I am thankful for Melody and my other nieces and nephews because:
- They provide a “very special” link to my past.
- They carry on the “very special” lineage that is my Extended Family.
- I am thankful for Grandma’s Family because:
- They helped make Grandma as special as she is today.
- The accepted, and Loved, me from the very first time they met me.
- I am thankful for my Friends because:
- They accept me for who I am.
- They always like to see me.
- They respect me and my opinions.
- I am thankful for Pastor Rowdy and ONE CHURCH SCOTTSDALE because:
- They REALLY ARE my church “Family!”
- They provide me an opportunity to use my Spiritual Gifts for the Kingdom of God.
- I am thankful for my Phoenix Philosophy Phan Club Members because:
- We share our Thoughts and Memories.
- They provide me and opportunity to Mentor others.
- I am thankful for the Lifestyle God has provided me with because:
- My “Golden Years” really are “Golden!”
- He kept His promise to provide for my Retirement.
- I get to spend sooooooo much time with my family!
- I am thankful for my Mental Acuity because:
- It allows me to still write.
- It allows me to enjoy all my Fond Memories.
- It allows me to help others via my Knowledge and Wisdom.
- I am thankful for Physical Well Being because:
- I suffer little, or no, Physical Pain.
- I still can do pretty much everything I want to do.
- I can still hear and see for more than just adequately!
- I am the only of my Family Members to turn 70 and still have their own teeth in their head!
At this point I had about an inch and a half of paper left, and went over to show it to Melissa. She scrutinized it carefully and then said, “Well, I guess that’s enough to get you in for dinner. However,” she quickly added, “if you want dessert you are going to have to fill in the rest!”
Welllllllll, not wanting to be deprived of my Pumpkin Pie, I immediately went home and added….
- I am thankful for Thanksgiving because we get to eat Turkey and all the Trimmings!
You know, as I did this, I got to thinking that it is important that we are Thankful for people. I then realized that just importantly is the fact that we tell them about it! And, not only that we are Thankful for them, but why we are Thankful for them as well! I would suggest that as you enumerate those that you are
Thankful for this year you take the time to let them know about it, and let them know why they are important to you as well!
In closing, I would just like to wish you a Very Happy Thanksgiving, and let you know that I am thankful for you because you take the time to read my humble offerings!!!!